Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Travis Thrasher's Hurt ~ Reviewed


By Travis Thrasher

Jan. 2013

David C. Cook

978-1-4347-6416-4



Review by Michelle Griep



When Chris Buckley first encountered the mysteries of creepy Solitary, North Carolina, he had little idea how far he would fall into the town’s shadows. After losing the love of his life, Chris tried to do things his way. He hunted answers. Then he gave up trying to find them.



But now Chris comes back to Solitary knowing there’s a purpose for his being there. As he watches his place in a twisted and evil bloodline become clear, Chris waits for the last battle—and wonders who will be left when he finally makes his stand.



I was seriously afraid to read HURT. I’d waited like a puppy at his dish for this baby to arrive, but once I held it in my hot little paws, I set it on my desk for weeks without cracking it open…not that I didn’t look at the cover every time I passed by.



There were two reasons for my fear factor, and neither of them involve creepy mannequins or broken doll heads. I was afraid to read HURT because I feared I wouldn’t like the ending, that there just wouldn’t be enough closure to satisfy me. And I was scared to death that I’d love it so much I’d be devastated that this was the end of the series.



Now that I’ve finished the last sentence on the last page, I can honestly say I was right—and wrong. The ending brought the series full circle in a fresh-chocolate-chip-cookie-out-of-the-oven sort of way and left me begging for more.


Chris Buckley is an unlikely hero that will stick with me for a long time. At first, he’s so awkward you can’t help but love the little buddy. But over time he sure develops into a champion. Oh, he’s still got his quirks and inconsistencies, but that just makes him all the more real.



Make no mistake about it…The Solitary Tales is a series pulls the reader through a lot of darkness. However, it’s the blackness that makes the light at the end shine all the brighter. This is one creepy, angst-filled young adult story that I wouldn’t hesitate to give to any struggling teen who is overwhelmed with life. And even though my own adolescence is nothing but a dot in my rearview mirror, I still loved the story.


Why? Because author Travis Thrasher is an amazing writer. His words are magical. Solitary was my first exposure to this superstar, but it’s not my last. If you want to be a writer, study his work.



And if you want a great read that’s sometimes jolting, give The Solitary Tales a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the book it is so amazing and eye opening,you might think it is creepy but its actually the opposite,very enlightening