Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kay Warren's Choose Joy ~ Reviewed

By Kay Warren
Published by Revell
ISBN#978-0-8007-2172-5
259 Pages

Back Cover: Ever wonder why some people seem to experience joy in their daily lives--even in the tough times--and others can't seem to find it no matter how hard they search? Is a joy-filled life really possible?


The answer is yes! And it's possible for every woman, no matter what her circumstances may be. In this inspiring book, Kay Warren teaches women what joy really is, where to find it, and how to choose it in the good times and the bad. With compassion and wisdom, she shows readers--even those who live with the constant companions of discouragement and depression--that true joy is deeper, richer, and more accessible than they might think. Perfect for small groups or individual reading, Choose Joy will empower women who feel like their emotions and well-being are at the mercy of others by helping them understand the life-giving truth that joy is within their grasp--every day.

Review: 

I’m thankful for the review copy of a book that has opened my eyes to see joy in the little things. I’ve learned about a tool used to open my heart and mind to a treasure box I didn’t know was at my disposal!

Kay Warren’s approach to choosing joy in everything is life changing. Her book is easy to read and heartfelt. She describes herself as having an Eyore personality. She is married to Pastor Rick Warren who she describes as having a Tigger personality. I liked her fun approach to the different personalities each having their own strengths and weaknesses; all of which have the opportunity to choose joy! Some have it easier than others. She had a quote from Jim Rohn in her book that touched my heart, “The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out joy.” Wow!

Kay gives examples of ways we can choose joy in spite of our circumstances. Joy is a deep and satisfying experience. Happiness is fleeting; joy is a gift we can choose to open up. She says, “God makes it clear that He wants to give us real treasure, real joy, and real contentment.”

Kay Warren’s transparency was refreshing and inspirational. I could see how I had a chance to choose joy no matter what I was feeling or going through. I’ll never look at joy the same. This author also helped me see another side of Jesus I hadn’t paid much attention. She talks about Jesus being joyful; He laughs and delights in us. Kay writes, “What was the joy that was set before Jesus in Hebrews 12:2? What was so rich, so satisfying, so deep that He was willing to suffer such terrible abuse? You were the joy set before Him. He suffered so He could be reconciled with you.”

Hard to believe or wrap your mind around? Yes, I felt the same but it also touched me to the core of my being to think about this idea.

I liked the journey through scripture this author took me on. She showed Jesus; a man of joy and how He wants to give this gift to us. It’s ours for the taking.



This book is broken down into four parts 1) Joy is my inheritance: Embracing the permission to be joyful 2) Joy is a conviction of my mind: Discover a new way of thinking 3) Joy is a condition of my heart: Cultivating a soul-response that allows joy to deepen 4) Joy is a choice of my behavior: ways to chose joy daily.

I listened to Choose Joy on audio book where this author read the book she wrote. I felt it was a richer experience to listen to Kay read the words she wrote, putting emphasis on parts that touched her deeply. She was also able to express her emotions as she read painful parts of this journey. I got so much out of hearing her speak.

I highly recommend this for a book club pick. There is so much to talk about to reflect on. There is a study and DVD that Kay has to take this subject deeper. The message in this book will change you forever if you let it. God’s joy can radiate from your heart like Kay’s. Thank you Kay Warren for sharing your faith journey and showing us how we can be joyful in all things! This books a keeper and a must read. It’s one you’ll be re-reading and sharing the message with friends.


Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!








No comments: