Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ann Shorey's The Edge of Light ~ Reviewed



The Edge of Light
Ann Shorey
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 352
Vendor: Revell
Publication Date: 2008
ISBN: 0800733304


Description:


It is the summer of 1838 in St. Lawrenceville, Missouri, and Molly McGarvie's life is about to change forever. When her beloved Samuel succumbs to cholera, Molly is heartbroken but determined to take care of herself and her children. But when Samuel's unscrupulous brother takes over the family business and leaves Molly to fend for herself, she knows she must head out on her own. It is a dangerous journey and Molly has to leave her old life behind. Somehow she must find a way to make a living, keep her family together, and fend off some over-eager suitors.




Review:

Much in the same way as Siri Mitchell write Regency novels that are incredibly depressing, but historically accurate and visual new novelist Ann Shorey does the same on the American Frontier. Through out my experience in reading this novel I was sad and heartbroken with the characters as one thing happened after another. It reminded me of childhood playing of the game Oregon Trail as you could do nothing but let life take things away. At first I was curious what could possibly happen that would ...more Much in the same way as Siri Mitchell write Regency novels that are incredibly depressing, but historically accurate and visual new novelist Ann Shorey does the same on the American Frontier. Through out my experience in reading this novel I was sad and heartbroken with the characters as one thing happened after another. It reminded me of childhood playing of the game Oregon Trail as you could do nothing but let life take things away. At first I was curious what could possibly happen that would be good and cause my heart to smile and there were a few things here and there.

Ann's writing is incredibly good and the details of weaving were vivid and educational. I would definitely recommend her books and I look forward to reading The Promise of Morning. But I would warn you that this is not a lighthearted romance, but a heavy one. I think it is realistic, but difficult not to be pessimistic. One thing I had real trouble with was that the mother hardly paid any attention to her older daughter always pushing her out of the way and telling her to just be still and quiet. Overall, the book was an interesting experience.

Do not get me wrong, it is a good book, just depressing a bit. But it does en-capture "the edge of light" where you can hold on to hope and not let go.

Reviewed by: Margaret Chind

No comments: