Friday, June 18, 2010

Dan Walsh's The Homecoming ~ Reviewed


The Homecoming
By Dan Walsh
Published by Revell
ISBN 978-0-8007-3389-6


Description

No sooner is Shawn Collins home from the fighting in Europe than he's called upon to serve his country in another way—as a speaker on the war bond tour. While other men might jump at the chance to travel all around the country with attractive Hollywood starlets, Shawn just wants to stay home with his son Patrick and his aging father, and grieve the loss of his wife in private.

When Shawn asks Katherine Townsend to be Patrick's nanny while he's on the road, he has no idea how this decision will impact his life. Could it be the key to his future happiness and the mending of his heart? Or will the war once again threaten his chances for a new start?

Review

The Homecoming is a compelling story of love, heartbreak, and healing. Dan Walsh doesn't disappoint us after his successful debut book, The Unfinished Gift. I was anxious to jump back into the lives of Patrick, his daddy, Shawn, and his grandfather Ian. As Shawn relates to his family the nail-biting story of the WWII events in Europe that turned him into a national hero, his life is catapulted away from home and his little boy. A national hero, he just wants to come home. Heart-rending, The Homecoming gets a high recommendation from Novel Journey Reviews and me.

Reviewed by: Ane Mulligan
Editor, Novel Journey
One of Writers Digest's Top 101 Websites for Writers



BONUS REVIEW:

Dan Walsh has outdone himself in his new book, Homecoming! I’m so thankful to have received a review copy of a story taken from a slice of American life when the world was so torn up and forever changed by war. The Unfinished Gift, the first book by this author, has Shawn Collins missing in action and his son Patrick goes to live with his estranged Grandfather. Homecoming starts at the same place the Unfinished Gift leaves off. Everyone is waiting for Shawn’s homecoming.

I loved how the author put me back in WWI. Dan made the time period come alive as his characters go through different aspects of the war in England and the States. Dan’s description of what Shawn, Patrick and Katherine went through was riveting. I felt their highs, their lows and the heart breaking blows of war, like I’ve never experienced before. I rejoiced with these characters triumphs, felt tears in my eyes and a knot in my throat when they shared tender moments in the middle of uncertain times.

I enjoyed this story written mainly in Shawn Collin’s point of view and all he experienced in and out of war. Shawn survived a plane crash and was sent home for some rest. The media made him out to be a hero—he didn’t feel like one, he was a guy just doing his job like anyone else. Then the next thing he knows he’s on a USO Bond tour away from his family again, and in the spot light, the one place he didn’t want to be. I enjoyed how Dan Walsh showed the affects of the war from many different angles. I felt I was there, seeing what happens families and how it plays havoc with their faith in God. I enjoyed Patrick, Shawn’s son so much and was thrilled by his relationship with Katherine. I admired Shawn and all he went through to do his duty and try to be there for his family as much as the government would let him. I can’t wait to read another story by this author. His characters and story touched my heart deeply.

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network

No comments: