Monday, May 03, 2010

Vickie McDonough's The Anonymous Bride ~ Reviewed


THE ANONYMOUS BRIDE
By Vickie McDonough
Published By: Barbour
ISBN#978-1-60260-696-8
347 Pages

Back Cover:

Luke Davis, marshal of Lookout, Texas, flippantly tells his cousin he'd get married if the right woman ever came along. When three mail-order brides are delivered to Luke a month later, he's in an uncomfortable predicament. How will he ever choose his mate? Rachel Hamilton's long-time love for Luke is reignited with his return to town. So when three mail-order brides appear, she panics. Will she find the courage to tell Luke that she loves him? Or take an anonymous part in the contest for his hand?

Review:

The Anonymous Bride is a fun filled Wild West adventure I couldn’t put down and didn’t want to end. I enjoyed every minute of this book - a book that gets to the heart and truth about forgiveness, what it is, what it looks like and how we can begin to forgive ourselves and others in our lives. This is the first book I've read by this author. I’m so thankful for a review copy of such a fun and meaningful book.

I instantly adored the author's characters. Their intetaction reminded me a little bit of how the Clampets related to one another in the show 'Beverly Hillbillies'—western style! I smiled whenever young Jacqueline, who insisted on being called Jack, spoke up. Here is what she says to the new Marshall, “You put that dog in jail? What did he do?”

“Stealing and being a public nuisance.” Marshall says forcing away a grin....“heard tell he snatched a pie right out of Myrtle Williams’ kitchen window.”

“Marshall, what’s gonna happen to the dog? You ain’t gonna hang’m are you?", Jack said in all seriousness.

I loved Jack’s zest for life, her innocence and how she wasn’t afraid to tell people what she thought. Rachael Hamilton, Jack’s mom, who’s lived in the town of Lookout most of her life, thought things were good until Luke Davis came back to town as the new Marshall. There were hurt feelings between the two of them and for good reason! Could Luke Davis ever forgive Rachael for her betrayal? Rachael didn’t think so—could she take his daily rejection?

Three young ladies show up in their little town, claiming to be mail-order brides for Marshall Luke Davis. Luke doesn’t know anything about these ladies and the whole town explodes in excitement trying to make sense of it all. The Mayor suggests a contest between the women to win the Marshall’s favor and create some fun for the town - and boy did the fun begin!!

This is the first book in the Texas Boardinghouse series by Vickie McDonough. The sequel "Second Chance Brides" will be released the Fall of 2010...I can’t wait.

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent

ACFW Book Club Coordinator


BONUS REVIEW:

I love this book. In the way that I absolutely adore the writing of Christian Historical Romantic Comedy Author Mary Connealy, I now feel the same about Vickie McDonough. This book had me gasp and inwardly scream. I laughed out loud and snickered to myself. I turned the pages without abandon and I am so eagerly excited for the next book in the series Second Chance Brides that I forget about the pile of to-be-read books waiting for my attentions.

There are many books and authors that ...more I love this book. In the way that I absolutely adore the writing of Christian Historical Romantic Comedy Author Mary Connealy, I now feel the same about Vickie McDonough. This book had me gasp and inwardly scream. I laughed out loud and snickered to myself. I turned the pages without abandon and I am so eagerly excited for the next book in the series Second Chance Brides that I forget about the pile of to-be-read books waiting for my attentions.

There are many books and authors that I like, but you have to be something really special for me to absolutely love it. And I love it. I recommend this book without fail. Read it, love it, and escape within the pages to a humorous situation in a historical time that will leave you laughing, giggling and sighing with satisfaction of a wonderful read.

Reviewed by: Margaret Chind

1 comment:

Vickie McDonough said...

Wow, Nora! Thanks for the wonderful review. I'm humbled and so glad you enjoyed The Anonymous Bride. I'm currently writing the third book in the series, and Jack's antics continue, even though she's now grown up.