Thursday, July 27, 2006

Mary Lu Tyndall's The Redemption ~ Reviewed


The Redemption
By MaryLu Tyndall
Barbour Publishing 2006
ISBN1-59789-359-5

Lady Charlisse Bristol sets off on a voyage in search of a father she never knew, only to find herself shipwrecked on a deserted island. After weeks of combating the elements, her salvation comes in the form of a band of pirates and their fiercely handsome leader, Edmund Merrick. Will Charlisse free herself from the seductive lure of this pirate captain and find the father’s love she so ardently craves?

While battling his attraction to this winsome lady and learning to walk a more godly path, Edmund offers to help Charlisse on her quest—until he discovers her father is none other than Edward the Terror, the cruelest pirate on the Caribbean. Can Edmund win this lady’s love while shielding her from his lecherous crew and working to bring her father to justice?

Can the supernatural power of God rescue Charlisse and Edmund from the danger and treachery that await them as they ride upon the tumultuous waves of the Caribbean?

There’s usually only one, possibly two, books that I’ll get excited about per year. This is the first one for 2006. It is a rare story indeed that compels me to plant my royal behind on the couch and let the peasants around my house fend for themselves. Once Tyndall draws you into the story, you will not be released until the last page. Plan on scheduling it for a day or two when you have no pressing engagements.

Other than Jesus, and I suppose my husband, the only other man I’d want to be stranded on a deserted island with is Captain Edmund Merrick. Whew. Palpitations don’t begin to describe what this character delivers. Besides his drop-dead good looks, this man is no pansy Christian. I love how real his struggle for doing the right thing connected with my own faith journey. Kudos to Tyndall for not sugar-coating the daily battles we all go through.

I got a little annoyed with Charlisse’s lack of trust in Merrick. Stupid girl. However, I suppose after surviving an abusive childhood, I should cut her some slack.

A mysterious character is added into the story briefly at the end. I have a suspicion that perhaps the next book will feature this man.

The Redemption is definitely not a beach bag flinger but an absolute must read. And when the second installment of the Legacy of the Kings Pirates comes out in spring 2007, it’ll be my nose smudged against the bookstore glass door waiting for them to open.

Reviewed by Michelle Griep

No comments: