Monday, July 31, 2006

Chris Well's Deliver Us From Evelyn ~ Reviewed


Deliver Us From Evelyn
By Chris Well
Published by Harvest House
ISBN: 0736914064

Everyone from the Feds to the mob is scrambling to find the husband of heartless media mogul Evelyn Blake. But no one can decide which is worse — that he is missing, or that she is not ...

Detectives Tom Griggs and Charlie Pasch are feeling the heat from on high to get this thing solved. Revenge–focused mobster Viktor Zhukov has figured out Blake was tied in with a rival gang’s ambush. Rev. Damascus Rhodes (his current alias) figures a man of the cloth can properly console the grieving Mrs. Blake. By the end of this high–speed thriller, some characters find unexpected redemption...and more than a few are begging, Deliver us from Evelyn ...

Deliver Us From Evelyn is one engrossing novel. I carried it with me everywhere until I finished it. The author is a genius when it comes to slick street thug characterizations and multiple points of view. Normally stories with many points of view are hard to follow, but this was so well done that I got lost in the story. I felt like I knew the criminals pretty well. He had me in their heads and thinking their thoughts.

Sometimes there was no dialogue for an entire scene, but it was barely noticeable. In fact, the action was so intense that in some ways dialogue wasn't even needed. How often can you say that about a book? The story is insane-just like the title, but in an "organized" manner. It's totally action packed, and I absolutely loved it. Considering I'm not usually a suspense reader, that is unusual for me to say. I did sort of figure out who the true bad "person" was before he/she was revealed (don't want to spoil it for you), but that didn't bug me like it sometimes does. I dunno. Maybe I'm just smart. *wink*

The author certainly took me through the mazes with unheard of perfection. The plot is well thought out and the loose ends all tie together in a very satisfying conclusion. Oh, and there are like 6 epilogues. Ha! Like I said, the author is nuts, but a genius. There were some real cliff-hanger moments, and people died along the way, but that's inevitable when you have that much crime going on. Anything less would not seem realistic.

Oh, and one of the scam artists had a profound spiritual journey. THAT was different, but very believable, too. Deliver Us from Evelyn, my friends, is one masterfully written story. As far as suspense goes, this one held my attention like no other. Go ahead and check it out. Snappy title, ingenious story...you decide.

Michelle Sutton (pen name)
Writing truth into fiction...digging deeper, soaring higher
Great Beginnings finalist 2005
http://edgyinspirationalauthor.blogspot.com
Writer/fiction reviewer

No comments: