Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Jessica Dotta's Price of Privilege ~ Reviewed

PRICE OF PRIVILEGE
By Jessica Dotta
Tyndale House Publishers
December 2014
978-1414375571

BACK COVER:

Having finally discovered the truth of her birthright, Julia Elliston is determined to outwit Chance Macy at his own game. Holding a secret he’d kill to keep, however, is proving more difficult than she imagined.

Just when Julia thinks she’s managed to untangle herself from Macy’s clutches, he changes tactics with a risky ploy. As the scandal of the century breaks loose, drawing rooms all over London whisper what so far newspapers have not dared to print: Macy’s lost bride is none other than Lord Pierson’s daughter―and one of the most controversial cases of marital law ever seen comes before Victorian courts.

Though Julia knows Macy’s version of events is another masterful manipulation, public opinion is swaying in his favor. Caught in a web of deceit and lies, armed only with a fledgling faith, Julia must face her fiercest trial yet.

REVIEW:

It's a rare book that pulls me out of reality and immerses me in a story world so much that I'll willingly park my heinie on a chair and allow the world to go by. It's an even rarer author who writes so beautifully that my eyes get all watery and I want to throw away my laptop because I know I'll never be able to pen such haunting prose. Price of Privilege by Jessica Dotta is just such a book.

Here is a taste of some of the word pictures taken from the story . . .

Thus we were caught up in our daily affairs like dogs running at full speed, when reality finally pulled hard on our leashes, catching us by surprise.

I felt as though I were walking over a slippery beam as I crossed the chamber on Isaac's arm.

Tormented eyes searched mine. It seemed as if, on the other side of an unreachable shore, Isaac was silently screaming and pleading for help behind his polished mask. Then his eyes went vacant as if something vital had died inside him.

This book took guts to write. It's not an easy thing to kill off a beloved character (don't worry, no spoiler as to whom), nor is it a piece of cake to expose layer after layer of hurt caused most often by verbal but sometimes physical abuse. Make no mistake, this is not a light read. That being said, this trilogy is on my keeper shelf because the story and the characters demand they will not be sent away.

If you love historical fiction and really want to get a feel for Victorian England, from the pulpy street view to the upper echelons of society, then run -- don't dawdle -- to the nearest bookstore and snatch yourself up a copy.

Reviewed by: Michelle Griep


Bonus Review:


Jessica Dotta ended her epic story ably and left me feeling satisfied with the outcome. If you've read the previous books I think you will agree. I wouldn't start with this one if you haven't. There is much relationship building in the previous books. But the good news is if you haven't read any of them you don't have to wait like the rest of us. You can binge and you will want to. Dotta makes every chapter a page turner.

I was really surprised by a huge twist in the final book. But once I got over the shock and sorrow it was one of those events that made the ending work for me. I was pulled in too many directions and needed some closure with it.

If you love historicals and excellent writing you need to read this series.

Reviewed by: Kelly Klepfer

No comments: