Tuesday, April 28, 2015


Whiskers of the Lion: An Amish-Country Mystery
by P. L. Gaus
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Plume (March 31, 2015)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0142181730

Description: 

In Whiskers of the Lion, Sheriff Bruce Robertson is charged with finding a young Amish woman on the run from a murderous drug ring so she can testify in federal court. Wrestling with a recurring childhood nightmare of a deadly lion, the Holmes County sheriff finds himself torn between allegiance to the legal system he upholds and the beliefs of the people he is sworn to protect.
Review:

I have not read any of the other books in the Amish-Country Mystery series so please keep that in mind. I feel like I got insight into characters by descriptions and interactions but also felt like I missed some of the hearts of the people involved. This is likely due to not getting to know them in earlier books. Therefore, I found myself not caring about them or their motivation. 

The Amish details were intriguing and I always find myself curious about plain or simple living. Fans of Amish fiction need to take note that there is quite a bit of detail. 

As far as the mystery goes, there is quite a bit of twisting and sleight of hand. The author added some elements that weren't fully veiled, others were surprising. 

Overall, I'd recommend starting at the beginning of the series rather than reading this as a stand alone. If you are already smitten with the series I imagine you will find much to like. Amish literature fans need to know there is a little intensity that might make this not appropriate for chickens or children. 

Reviewed by: Kelly Klepfer

No comments: