Monday, November 24, 2014

P.D.Bekendam's Prime of Life ~ Reviewed


Prime of Life
P. D. Bekendam
File Size: 499 KB
Print Length: 269 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1617952273
Publisher: Worthy Publishing (January 21, 2014)

Description:

Ben used to be a cardiothoracic surgeon before he suddenly abandoned his career and became a janitor at a retirement facility. Now, other than dealing with minor problems such as an unhealthy obsession with prime numbers, an inept boss, and a feud between two cantankerous retirees, he lives a realtively stree-free life. There is even hope for romance when an attractive podiatrist shows an interest in him. But it is not long before his past catches up with him and his carefully protected world begins to unravel. Filled with humor and quirky characters, Prime of Life delivers a satisfying and entertaining read.

Review:

This novel was a huge surprise for me. Okay. Call me judgmental but my expectations weren't high. It's written by a doctor. (I work in medicine, and though my docs are brilliant and wonderful and all that, the focus and dedication to medicine doesn't leave a lot of time for the focus and dedication required to write well, just saying.) My interest was piqued, however, since purchasing this book makes a donation to a terrific cause. Because I constantly am reading more than one book at a time, I usually have a book in my purse for wait times during my activities of daily living, and I usually chose a book I don’t think I’m going to adore. That’s where Prime of Life went. Purse book.  

I loved the cover and the plot line sounded interesting. A doctor who has escaped his life and now is a janitor at a retirement community. But still, it was destined for the purse.

However, once I began reading the novel it became a must-finish-this-book-as-soon-as-possible read. The writing clips along. The characters are quirky with a capital Q. Prime of Life is a charming read. Moments of deep or melancholy pepper the book along with loads of humor and sarcasm. I adore quirky characters and sarcasm even more. This one was right up my alley. The one caution I have is that there is a little bit of curmudgeonly humor/language that might offend more sensitive readers.

Reviewed by: Kelly Klepfer

1 comment:

P. D. Bekendam said...

Thanks for the kind review. It just so happens that the kindle version is on sale right now for about $3, so perfect timing!