Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Don Reid's The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson ~ Reviewed


The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Jefferson Series #2
By: Don Reid 

Paperback
Number of Pages: 400
Vendor: David C. Cook
ISBN-13: 9781434764942


Description

 
Childhood pals Cal, Harlan, and Buddy were known in Mt. Jefferson for their troublemaking. But when World War II tears them apart, they wonder if their friendship will survive. In 1959, Harlan is shot---and Buddy and Cal are the first to arrive at his bedside. Can they discover who put Harlan in the hospital---and why?
 
Review:

Don Reid's book, The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson is a feel good tale wrapped in the lives of likeable, very human characters. The story surprised me a few times and kept me hooked until the end.

The setting of the hook was the feel of the story. Told in a homey story-teller cadence,  this novel evokes a simplicity and warmth from a time in history that has all but disappeared in our lives filled with crashing waves of easy data and instant communication. The polished writing didn't take away from the story either and I found myself entering the lives of the characters as if I vaguely recognized them.


The grabber that took me along for the ride was a strong cord of unraveling mystery. Hidden details pulled at me, compelling me to read a little further.


Finally, the characters were fleshed out and imperfect but guys that reminded me of some of the men I know and respect, even when they behave badly.

This is a great book to curl up with, especially now that the nights will be getting longer and cooler. Don't expect heavy scripture and lots of conversations about God, Reid handles the faith elements realistically. The characters have discussions about faith only because it feels right for them to do so. And it's not heavy and cloying. Of note is that there are some heavy plot lines, too. Sensitive readers may want to look further before reading.



Reviewed by: Kelly Klepfer





No comments: