Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Jill Williamson's From Darkness Won ~ Reviewed



From Darkness Won
By Jill Williamson
2011
Marcher Lord Press
ISBN 9780982598771

Review by Michelle Griep

Achan steps into his role as Crown Prince and prepares for war. But war against whom? Could Esek still be alive? Has Lord Nathak taken Esek’s place? Or is the mysterious Hadad the true enemy Achan must confront?

Vrell has her own agenda of serving Prince Oren as a healer, but when she is stormed and lost to the Veil, Achan does all he can to bring her back. His conversations with her are strange, though, as if she has no memory of who he is.

In a land consumed by Darkness, the fate of Er-Rets hangs in the balance as Achan endeavors to take the throne and end the reign of Darkness.

Sweet pickled pig snout! This is one fantabulous read. I’m talking non-stop action, the kind that blurs the words on the page because you’ve forgotten to breathe. Yes, it really is that good, so don’t let the daunting 660 pages scare you away.

In this, the third and final installment in the Blood of Kings trilogy, author Jill Williamson delivers a satisfying wrap up to Vrell and Achan’s long suffering relationship. Oh yeah, that and she also manages to vanquish evil and restore light and truth to the entire land of Er-Rets quite nicely. No loose ends here, that’s for sure.

I was a little nervous when I first began reading. I didn’t think Williamson could pull off endearing me back to heroine Vrell Sparrow. The girl was a perfect pouty idiot when we left off in To Darkness Fled. I wanted to slap her. But by the middle of From Darkness Won, there I was, rooting for Vrell again.

For those squeamish at heart, I should warn you there are a few graphic fighting scenes. Warms the cockles of my heart in a sick and twisted fashion, so I enjoyed the detail, but if blood makes you queasy, you might want to skim over the epic battle towards the end.

I’m a little sad that this is the end of hanging out with Vrell and Achan. However, the Blood of Kings trilogy is a definite keeper that I’ll re-read in years to come. And I’m looking forward to reading whatever Jill Williamson has to offer next.

No comments: