Thursday, November 11, 2010

Laura Frantz's Courting Morrow Little ~ Reviewed


Courting Morrow Little
Laura Frantz
Paperback: 362 pages
Publisher: Revell (July 1, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0800733401

Synopsis:

Morrow Little is haunted by the memory of the day her family was torn apart by raiding Shawnee warriors. Now that she is nearly a grown woman and her father is ailing, she must make difficult choices about the future. Several men--ranging from the undesired to the unthinkable--vie for her attentions, but she finds herself inexplicably drawn to a forbidden love that both terrifies and intrigues her.

Can she betray the memory of her lost loved ones--and garner suspicion from her friends--by pursuing a life with him? Or should she seal her own misery by marrying a man she doesn't love?

Review:

Courting Morrow Little is not just a story to be read but it is an experience to cherish. Laura Frantz writes with an inherent beauty that graces every literary aspect of her story, from exquisite prose and intricate characterization to meticulous historical detail and striking emotional connections, this book sets the standard in historical faith fiction. Morrow's torment, Red Shirt's devotion and the town's derision are tangible emotions that will echo in your heart as a result of Laura's authentic and evocative language. Labeling this novel a romance does not do justice to this spiritually uplifting, emotionally complex and fascinating tale - Courting Morrow Little is a love story of the highest caliber and should be savored again and again.

Reviewed by: Rel Mollet


Bonus Review:

Set in 1778 on the Kentucky frontier, this book provides a sweeping tale of love and forgiveness. What an incredible read. This novel covered so many avenues of adventure and emotion. Not to even mention that the cover is gorgeous. With essences that remind me of the TNT miniseries Into the West and bits and pieces making me envision the love between Red Shirt and Morrow and that of Sully and Michaela. The first half of the book I read with hardly a stop, then with the necessities of baby and sleeping I had to wait to get back into the rest. But they were pages that I hated to be parted from.

Definitely Laura Frantz is on my keeper shelf and on my list for future reads. There was so much in this book, but it was not too much. The emotions are raw and so real. At times it was more than I wanted to handle on the difficulties between colonials and the native tribes of the land, but it was real and valuable to read. I look forward to more from Laura.

*Thanks to Revell Books for providing a copy for review.*

Reviewed by: Margaret Chind

Christian Historical Fiction @ Creative Madness Mama Community
A gathering place for readers, authors and lovers of Christian Historical Fiction to discuss what is the latest and upcoming as well as our never ending To-Be-Read piles…


Bonus Review:


Review by Michelle Griep


As a rule, I generally don’t read early Americana. Little House on the Prairie was way more than enough for me. Fate smiled wickedly upon me when this book surfaced on my to-be-reviewed pile. I cracked it open with a bad attitude and slogged through the first fifty pages or so, and then—miracle of miracles—I got sucked in. Deep down into the swirling vortex of Laura Franz’s sweet storyweaving skills. I read with anticipation and, dare I say it, gusto.

Once I got past the hero’s ridiculous name, Red Shirt, and looked beyond to his character content, I was completely and totally lost. Ooh-la-la. This is one stalwart, trustworthy, jaw-dropping and in-depth fella.

Contrast that with heroine Morrow Little. For the first half of the book I pretty much wanted to slap her. She is a hardened-of-heart woman that annoyed me to no end, but wow. Did she ever transform into a character worthy of admiration.
Hmm. By now you’re probably wondering what kind of back-handed review you’re reading. Here’s the low-down…Courting Morrow Little is a heart-wrenching, often surprising, and adventurous tale that recounts a bloody period in America’s history, and accomplishes this with finesse.

I rarely keep books that I read, only the very special ones that I intend to re-read, and guess what…this one’s going on my shelf. Go get a copy for yours.

No comments: