Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Goyer and Yorkey's The Swiss Courier ~ Reviewed


THE SWISS COURIER
By Tricia Goyer & Mike Yorkey
Published by: Revell
ISBN#978-0-8007-3336-0
324 Pages



Back Cover:

She's risking her life to save a man she doesn't know. But who can she trusts along the way?

It is August 1944, and the Gestapo is mercilessly rounding up suspected enemies of the Third Reich following the assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler's life. Gabi Mueller is a young woman working for the newly formed American Office of Strategic Services (the forerunner to the CIA) in Basel, Switzerland. When she is asked to put herself in harm's way to safely "courier" a German scientist working on the atomic bomb project into Allied hands, the fate of the world hangs in the balance. This fast-paced, suspenseful novel will whisk you along the treacherous twists and turns of a fascinating- and deadly- time in history.

REVIEW:

Because I’ve read other books by Tricia Goyer that inspired me and this time period-talking about the Gestapo, intrigued me, I signed up to receive a review copy of this book. Once again Tricia working with Mike Yorkey created unforgettable characters and brought history to life. Historical fiction gives you the best of two worlds, one, I learn about history and two, I was moved by the story of brave, heroic characters going up against the odds of their time period for the greater good.

I wondered how things escalated in 1944 with Hitler’s rule and when the atomic bomb was developed. It was amazing how many people risked their lives to see justice was done to fight against the Gestapo and its plans to dominate.

There’s a good blend of the colorful characters and the unbelievable events that made this book quite an enthralling read. I was so thankful for the list of character names and rank in the beginning of the book. I found myself referring to the list to make sure who was on whose side. It was fascinating how farmers, shopkeepers, soldiers all came together for the common good, risked their very life to fight the good fight and see that their agenda was achieved for man kind.

I liked how the authors tell you about Valkir (in the preface), the last attempt to kill Hitler that failed and how it escalated the development of the Atomic bomb. After that event is when this story picks up. Wow!! You’ll want to read this for sure and see history come alive.

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent
Finding Hope Through Fiction

Bonus Review:

Wow! This was a page-turner from the first chapter. The authors did a wonderful job of telling a believable story that had plenty of unpredictable plot. It is set during WWII in "neutral" Switzerland. It deals with trust and faith in a way that many authors haven't explored. It made me think about my faith and how much I am willing to risk for it. It also gave me a new appreciation for the people who risked and gave their lives for our freedom. I would recommend this book to anyone and give it two thumbs up.

Reviewed by: Leeann Garben

No comments: