Thursday, April 16, 2009

Maureen Lang's My Sister Dilly ~ Reviewed


My Sister Dilly
By Maureen Lang
Published by Tyndale
ISBN#978-1-4143-2224-7
341 Pages



Back Cover: Two Sisters

One committed the unthinkable.One will never forgive herself

Hannah Williams couldn’t get out of her small hometown fast enough, preferring the faster pace, trendy lifestyle and beauty of California’s Pacific Ocean coast.

Only whey her younger sister, Dilly, makes a desperate choice does Hannah realize she never should have left her behind in rural Illinois.

Hannah returns home, anxious to atone for failing Dilly in the past; leaving the one man she’s ever loved in California. But Dilly is a changed woman, and when Hannah’s plans don’t go as expected, the bonds of sisterhood are tested like never before.

REVIEW:

I have to be honest… when I started reading this book about a woman getting out of prison and entering society again, I really didn’t want to read it. Then when I read about what this woman tried to do; I thought this book might go into really dark places, I was afraid to continue. But, I have to say that since Maureen Lang has such an endearing insight into the heart of the matter, I kept reading. This story went in a direction I never expected it to go; it became quite eye opening which made me want to finish the story and so will you.

I applaud Maureen for not being afraid to talk about the elephant in the room. Nobody wants to discuss much less think about special needs children and what is involved in their care day-in and day-out. I loved her take on how a special needs child affect the immediate, extended family, and everyone they meet. It’s eye opening stuff.

The author shares what it would be like for a prisoner trying to fit back into in a very small town – a town who doesn’t forget why you went to prison in the first place. Dilly reaches out to another woman in a similar situation she was in years ago. This is what she says, “I know what Carla did was wrong. I hate what she did. But the punishment has already begun, even before she’s sentenced. And she’s still human; I know she feels all the hatred people like that guy have. I just wanted her to know not everybody has forgotten she’s still a person with feelings.” Wow! The author has a great insight into God’s love for us and how we should love one another.

This was a deeply moving book .At the same time, the author lets us see and feel how life could be in a small town; and what all goes into running a farm. It’s quite fascinating. This was the first book I’ve read by Maureen Lang it definitely won’t be the last.

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent – Book Club Servant Leader

No comments: