Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Brandilyn Collins' Amber Morn ~ Reviewed



Amber Morn
Brandilyn Collins
Paperback: 333 pages
Publisher: Zondervan Publishing Company (April 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0310276411


Book Description:

In book four of the Kanner Lake Series, a Saturday morning celebration at Java Joint coffee shop for the "Scenes and Beans" bloggers turns into terror when three gunmen burst into the coffee shop, shoot one person, and hold the rest hostage. Their demand: world attention. The stakes: the lives of over a dozen Kanner Lake citizens.

My Review:

Amber Morn is a big departure from the previous books in the series. Far more characters were given point of view scenes and the action focused heavily at the Java Joint.

When I cracked the cover and read the first few pages I was uncertain how I'd end up feeling when it was all said and done. A group of gunmen and a public place full of innocents is ripped from way too many newspapers in way too many cities. I was far more horrified than if a minor character had shown up dead and I got to watch the mystery and ugliness unfold. This time I was forced to walk through the unfolding terror with no clue who might come out alive and who might not. Chickens beware, Amber Morn is intense.

Nearing the end I began to think there was no way this could turn out pretty or even be resolved. Collins is a masterful writer. She pulled it off and it was believable. Interestingly, I'm glad she has closed the Kanner Lake series. I care enough about the characters that I want Collins to leave them alone and let them get on with the activities of living, in all meanings of the word. I'm glad a sneak peek at her next series shows up at the end of the book. I'm ready to follow her where she's headed next. If you are a Collins fan, you will be, too.


Reviewed by: Kelly Klepfer

No comments: