Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tamara Leigh's Splitting Harriet ~ Double Review


Splitting Harriet
Tamara Leigh
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Multnomah Fiction (November 20, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1590529286
ISBN-13: 978-1590529287


Splitting Harriet : Back Cover Copy

Once upon a time, I was a rebel. And I have the tattoos to prove it.

Did I mention I'm also a preacher's kid? That's right. And like the prodigal son after whom I modeled myself, I finally saw the error of my ways and returned to the fold. Today my life is all about "lead me not into temptation." When I'm not serving as Women's Ministry Director at my father's churs, I'm working at Gloria's Morning Cafe. I even have worthy goals, like saving enough money to buy the cafe, keeping my Jelly Belly habit under control, and never again hurting the people I love. No more parties. No more unsavory activities. And no more motorcycles! You'd think I was finally on the right track.

But since my dad's replacement hired a hotshot church consultant to revive our "dying" church, things aren't working out as planned. And now this "consultant" says I'm in need of a little reviving myself. Just who does this Maddox McCray think he is? With his curly hair that could use a good clipping, tattoo that he makes no attempt to hide, and black leather pants -- the man is downright dangerous. In fact, all that's missing is a motorcycle.Or so I thought...But if he thinks he's going to take me for a ride on that 1298cc machine, he can think again. Harriet Bisset is a reformed woman, and she's going to stay that way. Even if it kills me!
Ane's Review:
If you like humor mixed with dead-on characterization, you'll love Splitting Harriet. Her self-imposed role of tradition-savior is hilarious and almost oxymoronic, except Leigh makes you believe it. Well written, these characters leap off the page and into your life. Highly recommended, Splitting Harriet would make a great Christmas gift. Don't forget a copy for yourself, though, or you'll miss out on the fun.

Reviewed by Ane Mulligan

http://www.anemulligan.com
Kelly's Review:

I've never had more fun with church politics and upheaval. Did I say fun? Yes. Anyone looking for an entertaining and possibly convicting story needs to look into Splitting Harriet. This read contains a quirky grouping of characters, play dates for cats, and internal angst centered around a church. Harriet, a one woman crusade, attempts to keep her church family intact while keeping her carefully controlled life under wraps.

A fair amount of romance, some inner generational girlfriend fun, and loads of twists and confusion make Splitting Harriet a quick and snappy read.

The twist on the usual chick-lit is realistic and the not so flattering revelation of the humanity that explodes in church inner workings and leadership is too.

I ended up enjoying my time with Harri, and was glad that things weren't so neatly sewn up that we don't have a reason to revisit her life down the road.

Chick-lit lovers, quirky character collectors and those who take church politics a little too seriously might want to look further into Harriet.
Reviewed by: Kelly Klepfer
http://kellyklepfer.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Tamara Leigh said...

Kelly,
Ah, thanks! So glad you enjoyed Harri's story. She took some work to get right, but was very fun to write. Blessings!