Sunday, November 26, 2006

Annette Smith's A Bigger Life ~ Reviewed


A Bigger Life
By Annette Smith
Published by NavPress, Jan 2007
ISBN 1-5768-3995-8

Joel Carpenter's life was never supposed to turn out this way. But after making a careless choice seven years ago, his marriage was permanently shattered. Living in a small town in the heart of Texas, he now finds himself estranged from his ex-wife, Kari, and sharing custody of their son.

And just when Joel thinks the worst is behind him, Kari receives tragic news that threatens to forever alter their lives. Now as he faces his greatest challenge yet, he experiences hope and encouragement in unexpected places. And in the midst of deep tragedy, Joel finds forgiveness and learns to love in a way he never knew possible.

A Bigger Life is one of the best books I've read this year. Smith has nailed a man's POV so well, twice I flipped back to the cover to be sure I'd read her name right. I was sure this was written by a man. While Joel shows a depth of emotion, it was flawlessly presented. I was captivated by the story from page one. And I found their occupation completely believable, having worked in the same profession with two men much like Joel and Abe—with wives and families.

Spoiler to follow: Only one thing bothered me. I wished it hadn't ended quite like it did. I thought it would have been better if at that backyard barbeque, Joel was merely dating Amy in the end, with the promise of things to come.

But even that didn't really detract from this great read. Novel Reviews gives A Bigger Life a top recommendation.

Reviewed by Ane Mulligan
www.anemulligan.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read this one, Ane. Thanks.

Annette Smith said...

Ane, you're not alone in your wonder at this book being written by a woman. I suppose now's a good time to confess. I'm really a man. Just kidding! Your kind review made my day.