Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Last Ten Percent
by Michelle McKinney Hammond
Published by Harvest House
ISBN: 0736914803

Relationship expert McKinney Hammond's debut novel takes a witty look at imbalances within the dating world! Tracy hears a news report that confirms her worst suspicions---society is woefully short of eligible single men. But together with her intelligent, successful girlfriends, she decides this "man shortage" won't ruin her life---and discovers that faith is the key to lasting fulfillment.

Now this is some soul-stirring fiction. Spiritual truth brought out by the perils experience by five gorgeous women who all struggle with the same thing...the meaning of true love. As each women suffers through their individual trials, they learn to trust each other, and more importantly, they find God in the midst of their pain. Though I think the author had one too many characters' points of view, overall the story was fabulous.

I felt their pain, longed for healing in their futures, and grew with them in my heart. Ms. Hammond has a gift for conveying the true struggles most women have in regards to matters of the heart. She does it in such a smooth way that you feel like you learned something, yet it was so seamlessly woven into the story itself, that it's not obvious. I loved the 'sistah' teasing and the cultural snap she brought out in their relationships.

Of all the chick lit I've read this past year, this one really pulls you in. I want to read a sequel because I feel like these ladies are my friends. I want to see them get married and grow with them some more. I didn't want the story to end, yet the conclusion was truly satisfying and didn't leave me hanging.

Though far from perfect, each woman in this story developed true inward beauty, and for that, I feel blessed to have been a part of their spiritual journey. This is not a sappy, preachy attempt to convey Christian themes to the reader. The Last Ten Percent deals with the humiliating, ugly things in life and brings the reader to the point where they want to see these ladies find love in Christ alone. I can't say enough great things about this story.
It's a must read in my book! Check it out!


Michelle Sutton (pen name)
Writing truth into fiction...digging deeper, soaring higher
Great Beginnings finalist 2005
http://edgyinspirationalauthor.blogspot.com/
Writer/fiction reviewer

No comments: