Monday, January 16, 2006

Kristin Billerbeck's, She's All That ~reviewed


She's All That (Spa Girls)
Kristin Billerbeck
Publisher: Integrity Publishers
ISBN: 1591453283








Reviewed by Michelle Therese:


Best friends since Johnny Depp wore scissors for hands, The Spa Girls live very separate lives, but stay in touch with routine visits to California’s Spa Del Mar. Morgan Malliard lives an heiress’s life, modeling her father’s diamond jewelry to San Francisco’s elite. Dr. Poppy Clayton doles out sage Biblical advice and herbal remedies as a chiropractor in Silicon Valley. And Lilly Jacobs struggles to make ends meet as a up-and-coming fashion designer with a college degree that’s useless, and a self-imposed deadline that’s looming.

The first novel in the Spa Girls Collection™, She’s All That, focuses on Lilly Jacobs, a San Francisco fashion designer determined that her "bad hair" is the root source of her problems – but a nagging grandmother, a vixen boss and well-meaning friends certainly aren’t helping matters. Lilly’s deadline is fast approaching, and success isn’t. What does God have in store for these gals as they contemplate life, love and the pursuit of a perfect pedicure? Lay back, kick up your feet and escape to the spa with the girls!

I have to laugh at how well the author does when it comes to one-liners, which is half the fun of reading the story. Poor Lilly was brilliant but so down on herself, and she had terrible judgment regarding decent men. I love how the author tied in her lack of trust with her abandonment issues. So true! Billerbeck is a master at making you want to keep reading. I had to see who Lilly was going to choose. I found the issues she dealt with realistic and enjoyed being part of her circle of friends, even if only as an outside observer. I'm glad she made the best choice and laughed at her quirks and her drama. She's like a lot of ladies I hung out with when I was single. There are no men that like you and then wham...the whole world wants you at the same time. Talk about pressure. I'm so glad I'm not single anymore. I can't wait to read Morgan's story. Of the three spa girls, I felt most connected to Morgan because she had such a good heart. Poppy was just a hoot. I have many nature-lover friends who "do herbs, not drugs" and are totally into health. I enjoyed her characterization as well. This series is very enjoyable, not at all boring, and full of the kind of drama that makes chick lit fun to read. Looking forward to the next book.

No comments: