Monday, April 03, 2006

Sharon Hinck's The Secret Life of Becky Miller~Reviewed


The Secret Life of Becky Miller
By Sharon Hinck
Out in June, 2006
Paperback, 242 pages
Published by Bethany House
ISBN 0-7642-0129-8

Faster than a speeding minivan, able to leap piles of laundry in a single bound … it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Supermom!

Becky Miller's vivid daydreams help her cope with the pressure to be a Wonderful Wife and Marvelous Mom. But she keeps hearing the inner tape play: "Your mission, should you choose to accept it: support your husband when he loses his job, nurture an eccentric group of friends, raise perfect Christian children, and live a life full of Grand Purpose, all while standing in your head and whistling the national anthem. Your fantasy will self-destruct in five seconds." When real life intrudes into her perfect fantasy world, can she turn off the tape and learn to trust God instead?

Christian authors are giving the literary world a run for their money, and Sharon Hinck is at the front of the pack. The Secret Life of Becky Miller, written in James Thurber's Walter Mitty-style, packs an Emeril-size BAM!

From page one, Becky Miller sneaks into your heart—she's every wife and mom who wants to do it all but discovers she's only human. Add to the mix a love for God and a strong desire to do BIG things for Him.

"I calmly and efficiently assessed the most severe trauma and tackled each crisis in order.
In my dreams."

Becky daydreams in the opening of each chapter, and those fantasies are a qui vive to her state of mind. Her journey to discovery and trust, filled with twists and detours and the help of some delicious characters, is a look inside the heart of a woman who loves God and her family.

Methinks Hinck has skirted this road herself; the insight she brings to Becky's spiritual journey brought tears to my eyes and left me gasping for air. Warning: Do not read this book late at night next to a sleeping husband. You won't be able to put it down and your laughter will awaken him.

The Secret Life of Becky Miller is a must read—a manual if you will—for every young mom, and a hilarious look back for those of us who endured those years and lived to tell about it.

Reviewed by Ane Mulligan

10 comments:

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

Oooh, love the cover. How many of us feel like we need a cape at times, eh?

batgirl said...

You sold me Ane. Boy, could I relate to this one. Can't wait to read it. Fun review!

Mary DeMuth said...

Congrats on such a lovely review!
You go, superwriter girl!

Susan Meissner said...

Can't wait to read it, Sharon. The cover is tres chic! Come by my place sometime and we'll go to the DQ in our capes!
Susan :)

Unknown said...

Great review Ane. You've got me interested. (Where can I buy a cape like that?)

Southern-fried Fiction said...

LOL - I guess Sharon and I will have to put our heads together and see how we can give away a cape as a contest item! ;o)

Sharon Hinck said...

I actually promised the marketing team at BHP that I'd wear a red cape at CBA this summer. :-)
There was also talk of flying me in on wires, but I HOPE they were joking.

At my book launch event in June, my assistants will all have red capes (seriously!) and dress like the Becky Miller cover.

Ane, thanks for the beautiful review! It means so much to me.

Kelli Standish said...

Go Sharon!
The depth, wit, and honest-to-goodness, jaw-dropping, loveliness of your writing is going to change the world, I just know it! :)

Cheering you on,

Kelli

Scrambled Dregs said...

Sounds like great fun!

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine gave me an advanced copy. It is a great easy read. The chapters are short, 3-4 pages, so a mom can get through a chapter in a few minutes. I read it in just 2 days. Thank you for such a great perspective on life as a Christian Mother.