Monday, June 21, 2010

Boyd Morrison's The Ark ~ Reviewed


THE ARK
By Boyd Morrison
Published by Simon & Schuster
ISBN#978-1-4391-8179-9
420 Pages

Back Cover:

An elderly archaeologist is murdered. Before he dies, he manages to speak a few cryptic words to a colleague, the beautiful Dilara Kenner, whose own father disappeared three years earlier while pursuing his life’s work, the search for Noah’s Ark. Now, it seems, the ark and the solution to her father’s disappearance are within Dilara’s grasp, as long as she and Tyler Locke, an adventurous engineer, can keep ahead of the shadowy people who want to use the ark for their own purposes.

Review:

I signed up for a review copy of this book for two reasons. One, because I thought it was Christian Fiction book, and two, because it sounded like an exciting adventure story about Noah’s Ark—I hadn’t read anything like that before so I was intrigued. This story was most definitely filled with action, adventure and a few more things I never expected.

Dilara Kenner meets Sam Watson, an old family friend, for an urgent meeting in a very public place were he tells Dilara her father had found Noah’s Ark right before he went missing. As soon as Sam tells her this and strongly urges her to contact Tyler Locke for help, he dies. This puts her on the run. Dilara realizes that someone is out to kill her and doesn’t want her to reach Tyler Locke, who is on an oil rig in Newfoundland. Why did someone want her dead?

Tyler and Dilara’s search for the Noah’s Ark reveals a plot to take over the world and destroy everything they hold sacred. They begin a race against time to stop this terrorist attack.

I’ve been spoiled in reading exclusively Christian fiction where I can count on there being no foul language, sex scenes and agree with author’s world view. I found the cussing in this book very distracting and unnecessary to the story. This novel made me appreciate Christian fiction books even more. There are ways to convey the same feelings mentioned in this book without the use of cursing. There’s an art to pulling that off and I didn’t realize how much so until I read this book.

There is only one sex scene in this book and it’s not graphic, but I wished it wouldn’t have been in there at all. This book didn’t disappoint on the action, adventure, drama and suspenseful mission Dilara and Tyler were on. But it would have been a better read for me, personally, if there was no cursing. I also found the authors view of Noah’s Ark vastly different from mine, his interpretation of the Bible passages he quoted from the bible inside this book didn’t match up with anything I had heard of. I was disappointed in this book because it was marketed as Christian fiction. It is not. It’s definitely a main stream action adventure story with a very unique and creative twist on the whole Noah’s Ark story. I'm sure it will be well received in that market place.

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network

No comments: