Monday, October 15, 2007

Stephenie Meyer's Twilight ~ Reviewed



TWILIGHT
(The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
By Stephenie Meyer
Paperback: 544 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers (September 6, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0316015849
ISBN-13: 978-0316015844


Back Cover

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn’t realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back…


REVIEW

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book. When my child came home and said that she was reading a book called “Twilight” What’s it about I asked. She said “Werewolves and vampires” I was not thrilled. That same child wanted me to come to a book signing with her to meet Stephenie Meyer the author of “Twilight”

I went because I was curious. Who was the woman behind these books? Who is Stephenie Meyer. The author talked on a microphone before the book signing. She said that she was not a person that read about this subject nor did she watch many movies about this either. She made up her own rules. She was not going to tell the hundreds of teen girls there her favorite character. It would be like picking out a favorite child. She loved them all. She just wasn’t going to pick one. OK; as a mom of a teen I liked this young fellow mom and I wanted to READ THIS BOOK.

To my relief this book was NOT WHAT I EXPECTED. It reminds me of the old Alfred Hitchcock movies. The story is very suspenseful but you don’t see anything gory etc. It all happens off camera and they talk about it (not in detail either). The story line is about the subject matter of vampires and werewolves but it is about a girl named Bella who moves to Fork to be with her father Charlie. She is the NEW girl in high school. She is drawn to the most handsome boy in the whole school; Edward. Edward tries to avoid Bella at first (for reasons you find out later). Then gives into his feelings for her tells Bella it is dangerous to hang around him.


During the process of getting to know each other Bella says that she has questions for Edward; there are things she has noticed about him that make her wonder. There are things that she just has to know. So, Edward spends an afternoon answering Bella’s questions. This reminded me of a scene in the Superman movie (with Christopher Reeve) where Lois Lane the reporter is asking Superman all the questions about his super abilities. She has pen in hand and is talking notes. Bella does the same thing but she did some research on the internet before their talk she will not be fooled. Edward confirms her suspicions that he is a vampire; but he explains he is not your average vampire. Just because he is made for evil it doesn’t mean he has to give into the dark side. It has taken time but he has chosen to go against being your average vampire.

Just like in Superman the movie Edward Cullen is always saving Bella’s life. She sees his abilities in action as he saves her from the danger.
I laughed at one point when Edward says to Bella “You HAVE saved me,” he said quietly.

“I can’t always be Lois Lane,” Bella insisted. “I want to be Superman, too.”

I had picked up on what the author was doing all thru the book and then she says it out loud. It cracked me up.

The author has lines in the book that are tongue and cheek. In the beginning of the book there is a line that cracks me up and gives you the flavor you’ll find in “Twilight.”

“Breakfast time,” Edward said eventually, casually – to prove, I’m sure, that he remembered all my human frailties.

So I clutched my throat with both hands and stared at him with wide eyes. Shock crossed his face.

“Kidding!” I snickered. “And you said I couldn’t act!”

He frowned in disgust. “That wasn’t funny.”

“It was very funny, and you know it.” But I examined his gold eyes carefully, to make sure that I was forgiven.

Apparently, I was.

“Shall I rephrase?” he asked. “Breakfast time for the human.” Definitely a funny scene.

This is a suspenseful book and one that took me by surprise. The girls at the book signing (all 1,500 of them) could not stop screaming whenever Stepenie talked. This mother of 3 young boys; paints the funny and serious side of being a vampire. It is also very beautiful love story.

Reviewed by Nora St. Laurent
LifeWay Book Club Leader

1 comment:

Kim said...

I was just reading about this book the other day! I was glad to see this review, because I was hesitant to suggest it as a young adult read for our library. Now, I will do so!!

Alfred Hitchcock suspense? I'll have to read it myself!!