Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Colleen Coble's The Lightkeeper's Ball ~ Reviewed



The Lightkeeper's Ball, A Mercy Falls Novel
Colleen Coble
Christian Romance
Paperback, 296 pages
Publisher: Thomas Nelson, 2011
ISBN: 978-1-59554-268-7

Back Cover Description:


At the elegant Mercy Falls masquerade ball, Olivia's hidden identity will be revealed.

It is the dawn of a new century and Olivia Stewart is heiress to an empire. Her family numbers among the Four Hundred-those considered the wealthiest and most distinguished in America. Unfortunately their wealth has nearly disappeared, and now their security rests upon the Stewart daughters' marrying well.

Olivia's sister, Eleanor, was engaged to Harrison Bennett, one of the nation's wealthiest men, but has since died. Now the pressure is on Olivia to take her place, despite her suspicions about Eleanor's fiance. Using her family's long-forgotten English title, Olivia travels to Mercy Falls, California, as Lady Devonworth, hoping to learn more before committing to marriage. There she finds that Eleanor's death was no accident. And Harrison is not the man she thought he would be.

When Mercy Falls holds a charity ball masquerade to raise funds for the new lighthouse, secrets-and truths long hidden-will be revealed. But can Harrison really love Olivia when he finds her true identity? Can she live with the repercussions of failing her family, or will she finally realize that nothing-not money, family, or romance-will ever compare to God's unconditional love?

Review:


I believe that this book could fall under multiple classifications outside of 'Christian Romance'; while it certainly is that, it could also be under the genres of suspense and historical as well. The descriptions of clothing jewelry and various venues really made the period come alive making the story feel realistic. I thought that the inclusion of the early airplane and how many thought that flight was an impossible and foolish endeavor added character and interest to the story as well. I found this book enjoyable. The way that the timeless truths of God's love and acceptance being sought above all else-including what others and society expect and think of us-made this so much more than just another novel.

Reviewed by: Rachael Schnitker


Bonus Review:

The dazzling cover of this book made me stop and stare – then pick it up to see what was inside. I was so thankful for a review copy so I could discover the mysteries this book held! I’ve enjoyed several of Coleen’s books and was excited to have the opportunity to read her newest book.

The Lightkeeper’s Ball is the third book in A Mercy Falls series; I was worried I’d be lost because I didn’t read the first two. As I read I didn’t feel like I was lost at all, but it did make me want to read the first two books in this series called, The Lightkeeper’s Daughter and The Lightkeeper’s Bride.

Eleanor is dead! Drowned! (I was gripped by this books dramatic beginning) Olivia and her mother can’t believe their ears. Olivia doesn’t believe she drowned- Eleanor hated water how could she have drowned? Something’s fishy about all this and Olivia was going to get to the bottom of it but how? She comes up with a plan to go to Mercy Falls using her official title “Lady Davenworth.” No one in Mercy Falls has met her so using this identity would allow investigating her sister’s death a lot easier.

Olivia – “Lady Davenworth” meets up with Harrison Eleanor’s fiancĂ© in order to discover more clues to this mishap. Harrison is in the aviation business telling people that this is the transportation of the future. Harrison’s father and others think he’s crazy but his investors think he’s onto something. It even catches the attention of Olivia. I really enjoyed the aviation aspect to the story; it was fun. I liked reading about a time of innocence, when everything was fresh, new and exciting.

Colleen Coble pens a engaging, suspenseful murder mystery I couldn’t put down. Colleen’s characters grabbed my heart, attention and made me smile. I loved all the behind scenes preparation as the reader saw how Lady Davenworth orchestrated a grand Ball event as a fundraiser for a worthy cause. I felt like I was at the Ball when the event finally happened. It was exciting!

I highly recommend this book for book club or just for fun. I’m definitely going to check book one and two in this series!!

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network
Finding Hope Through Fiction


Bonus Review:

Colleen Coble returns readers to Mercy Falls in her third historical romance, The Lightkeeper's Ball, weaving suspense, family intrigue and the advent of the flying machine in an engaging and pleasing novel. I found this story to be more intriguing than the previous novel in this series. Colleen creates three dimensional characters that readers can connect to easily and invest in their journey so I particularly enjoyed Olivia, a women trying to break out of the mold forced on her by society. Her experience shines as she balances all the elements of an historical romance with her trademark suspense in a story that will keep you guessing to the end. The Lightkeeper's Ball will appeal to Colleen's faithful readers and new readers looking for a solid and interesting story.

Reviewed by: Rel Mollet

No comments: