Friday, November 12, 2010

Karen Witemeyer's Head in the Clouds ~ Reviewed


HEAD IN THE CLOUDS
By Karen Witemeyer
Published: Bethany House
ISBN# 978-0-7642-0756-3
366 Pages

Book Cover:

Adelaide Proctor is a young woman with her head in the clouds, longing for a real-life storybook hero to claim as her own. But when a husband-hunting debacle leaves her humiliated, she interviews for a staid governess position on a central Texas sheep ranch and vows to leave her romantic yearnings behind. When Gideon Westcott left his privileged life in England to make a name for himself in America's wool industry, he never expected to become a father overnight. And five-year-old Isabella hasn't uttered a word since she lost her mother. The unconventionality of the new governess concerns Gideon--and intrigues him at the same time. But he can't afford distractions. He has a ranch to run, a shearing to oversee, and a suspicious fence-cutting to investigate. When Isabella's uncle comes to claim the child--and her inheritance--Gideon and Adelaide must work together to protect Isabella from the man's evil schemes. And soon neither can deny their growing attraction. But after so many heartbreaks, will Adelaide be willing to get her head out of the clouds and put her heart on the line?

Review:

I was drawn to this book by the cover; it looked fun. It’s of a gal from Texas reading a book and twirling her hair. I anticipated the review copy because I wanted to know who this woman in yellow was on the front.. I also hadn’t read anything by Karen Witemeyer. I had heard good things about her. I couldn't wait to read Head in the Clouds and find out for myself.

I was pleasantly surprised by what I found inside the pages of this novel. From the cover, I imagined this to be about a girl who was an avid reader and day-dreamed so much she kept her Head in the Clouds. You can tell she is not paying attention as she takes the next step, because she’s about to fall of the front porch. WOW, was I wrong about this book!! Adelaide Proctor was a dreamer of sorts, she’s a smart girl, someone who could hold her own, I was right about being an avid reader. Adelaide wasn’t afraid to speak what was on her mind. She had dreamed of having a family someday, but she wouldn’t waste her life waiting for a knight in shining armor to arrive and sweep her away. She had talents and thoughts of her own. No man was going to push her around.

Gideon Westcott was making a new life in America after leaving his privileged up bringing in England. He was thankful for his fresh start and the young girl that made the little things in life so valuable. Isabella was five-years-old and had captured his heart. He was in search of a governess to help educate his little one. He ran an ad for so long time and still hadn’t met a single suitable governess.

I was captivated by Adelaide’s spunk, determination and willingness to earnestly seek God’s will for her life. She was a strong woman who could be tender and sensitive. I immediately adored Gideon Westcott and his determination to do the right thing, the zest he had for life and the tenderness he had towards Bella. He wanted the best for her and the people that worked for him, too.

Karen Witmeyer's debut book was Taylor-Made Bride. I’ll have to check that one out for sure, since I enjoyed Head in the Clouds so much. I’m thrilled to find another author that is witty, interesting, funny and creates characters I instantly care about. This is an author to watch. I know that I will be!

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent

The Book Club Network

No comments: