Sunday, August 13, 2006

Like Dandelion Dust ~ Karen Kingsbury


Like Dandelion Dust
Karen Kingsbury
Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Center Street














Book Description

"Jack and Molly Campbell enjoyed an idyllic life in their small hometown outside Atlanta with their adopted 4-year-old, Joey. Then they receive the phone call that shatters their world: a social worker delivers the news that Joeys biological father has been released from prison and is ready to start life overbut with his son. When a judge rules that Joey must be returned to his father, the Campbells, in a silent haze of grief and utter disbelief, watch their son pick a dandelion and blow the feathery seeds into the wind. Struggling with the dilemma of following the law, their hearts, and what they know to be morally right, the Campbells find that desperation leads to dangerous thoughts. What if they can devise a plan? Take Joey and simply disappear...LIKE DANDELION DUST. "



Reviewed by Gina Holmes:

Let me start by saying this is my first Karen Kingsbury novel. It won't be my last. I found that Karen has an amazing ability to bring the reader on an emotional roller-coaster ride. It was equisite the way she made me cry and even the feelings of love, joy and grief that crept up as I read this book.

The writing itself was unobtrusive so that the characters took center stage. It was a dark story with a heavy feel but that did not put me off at all. Life is sometimes dark and I like that Ms. Kingsbury didn't sugar-coat it.

I took mental notes as I read this work and hopefully some of her ability to evoke an emotional response in readers will rub off on me. I recommend Like Dandelion Dust.

From what I've heard, this is one of her heavier novels but very well written and absolutely worth a read in my opinion.

No comments: