Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Waking Lazarus ~ T.L. Hines


Waking Lazarus
T.L.Hines
Hardcover: 352 pages
Bethany House Publishers

(July 2006)
ISBN: 0764202049














Jude Allman isn't your typical hero. He's a mentally ill janitor who has an odd habit of dying and coming back to life. Everyone wants the same thing from him: to know what's on the other side. To run from his notoriety, he changes his identity and sinks into his own private world of paranoia and shadows. Until a woman who knows his past shows up at his door,forcing him to ponder things he never wanted to think of again.

Waking Lazarus is not a flowery, purple prose type of literary book. It's suspense written to be a page turner. The characters are real, quirks, flaws and all. The storyline of the serial killer stalking children is gritty, but not too much so as Mr. Hines is careful to keep the grisly details "off stage."

Waking Lazarus ended with a couple of unexpected twists, adding to the satisfaction of the read. All in all, I found this book to be a wonderful first novel and exactly the type of book I've been hoping would come out of the CBA. My highest praise both to this author and the editor who took a chance on it.

Waking Lazarus is tight, fast paced, gritty, and inspiring. A definite recommend.

Reviewed by
Gina Holmes

6 comments:

Southern-fried Fiction said...

Rats ... now this means I'm going to have to read another suspense! Good review, GIna. You made me curious enough to threaten my position in the Big Honkin' Chicken CLub!

Jason said...

I've been waiting for this book for a while. Thanks for the review - now it will be harder to wait. *pout* Actually, thanks for keeping this book in people's minds. I'm really hoping it will be successful on all sides of the aisle!

Mirtika said...

thank you. I'm off to shopping cart it at amazon. (Like a Pavlovian doggie of the internet, I clicked on the book's picture to go to amazon and cart it. Um...as you know...that didn't work. Urp.)

Mir--woof

Unknown said...

Hey Mir!
Sorry, that would be a good idea about the amazon link. It is just a bit time consumming to do it. I was, but it got too much with running both sites and all. But for Tony, I should have. This book deserves special attention.

Ane,if you can read my demony witchy stuff, you'll be okay with this.

Thanks Jason! It is worth the wait. Thanks for supporting this fantastic author.

Scrambled Dregs said...

Oh, Gina - I agree.

Waking Lazarus is a very good read.

I started reading it the day I got it in the mail, left it on the kitchen table. And my hubby started reading it while he ate his midnight bowl of cereal.

I had to sneak it away while he wasn't looking, so I could finish it.

Ane, its got its tense moments - but you can do it.

batgirl said...

Ooh, I like the picture on the cover. Up until I had the wonderful resource of Novel Reviews, that's how I picked out books:)