Friday, April 10, 2009

Leanna Ellis's Ruby's Slippers ~ Reviewed




Ruby’s Slippers
By Leanna Ellis
Published by: B & H Publishing Group
ISBN# 978-0-8054-4698-2
Pages 312

Back Cover:

Dottie Meyers – thirty-five and still unmarried – is a real-life Dorothy Gale, living with her little dog on a small Kansas farm. When a tornado destroys her “somewhere over the rainbow,” she’s knocked cold and awakens at a recovery facility on the West Coast, where her father (who abandoned her when she was four) has left her a mysterious gift.

A Pair of Ruby Slippers - Soon Dorothy discovers others are out to get the ruby slippers, including her own sister. Dottie and three friends journey to Seattle in search of answers 0 but find instead the fallout of a broken childhood. No long-lost father can solve Dottie’s problems. Only One true Wonder-worker behind the so-called curtain can heal her wounds and prepare her for what’s been there all along-her heart’s perfect fit.

REVIEW:

If you love the Wizard of Oz with all the crazy characters and the adventures they go on, you will love this story. Even if you weren’t crazy about the movie that starred Judy Garland you will love this book. I have to say I wasn’t really a fan of the movie, it scared me tremendously as a kid, yet my parent’s insisted we watch it every year. The Wizard of Oz has been redeemed for me. Hooray! Leanna took me inside the pages of this clever, witty, fun and surprising story. I found treasure where I least expected it. God’s healing truth jumped off the page and into my heart.

“Every day is a gift,” the author mentions. It’s our choice to see it and open up the gift daily.

Here’s a sneak peak into this book. ..”were two frightened people, side by side, who are afraid to risk, afraid to love, afraid of being wounded, can’t reach out to one another. “Maybe,” I venture a hypothesis, “that’s why we can’t explore…experience God. We’re afraid of him.”

I have found these statements and many others to be so true in my life. Not only was I afraid of God but afraid to do what he had asked me to do– questioning if he picked the right person for the task at hand. I let the enemy win in my life by just being afraid to do anything. I didn’t grow, love or live life. I think that’s why I really related to this story. I’ve experienced this truth, and God’s healing power mentioned throughout this tale. I totally enjoyed every minute I spent reading Leanne’s book. Through these very unique set of characters I can see how far I’ve let God heal my heart. I also see how much he wants to love me, if I let him. We all are a work in progress. This was the first book I’ve read by Leanna Ellis, I’m most definitely going to check out her other two books. I can’t wait to read this book again.

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent – Book Club Servant Leader

No comments: