Monday, September 10, 2007

M L Tyndall's The Restitution ~ Reviewed



The Restitution
Legacy of the King’s Pirates ~ Book 3
By M.L. Tyndall
Barbour Publishing, Inc. August 2007
ISBN 978-1-59789-361-9


Visit NovelJourney for a few words from MaryLu.


A scorned woman longing for wealth, position, and the return of her son…

An obsessed pirate craving the love of the lady he once ravished…

A twisted nobleman seeking to capture a spurned woman’s heart…

And the intricate plot of vengeance that weaves their lives together.

Lady Isabel Ashton gives birth to her illegitimate son, Frederick, the product of a pirate’s violent attack. Spurned by family and society, Isabel clings to the hope of marrying a nobleman and returning to her privileged social class, but then her baby is kidnapped.

Captain Kent Carlton, determined to win the heart and forgiveness of the woman whose purity he pirated, searches every port for Isabel. What he finds is Richard Sawkins, a nobleman who informs him of Frederick’s existence and kidnapping and the whereabouts of Isabel.

Will Kent forsake all his treasure, power, and dreams of becoming the Admiral of the Brethren of the Coast in order to unite Isabel and his son? And will Isabel finally realize that title and wealth are meaningless when compared to riches in Christ. Can she allow her heart to love a penniless pirate?

The Restitution is Tyndall’s third and last of the Legacy of the King’s Pirates series. Having read the first two, I must admit I began Restitution with trepidation. I’d already given my heart to Merrick and Charlisse—the former main characters. I was fairly certain there’d be no chance this novel could measure up or even come close.

Boy, was I wrong.

Engaging characters, gripping plot, lean and mean writing—I was totally blown away. This is by far Tyndall’s best work to date.

I read a lot. Usually I can see the plot line developing far in advance like a stretch of North Dakota highway. This story takes hairpin turns at 90 mph. Not once, but three times Tyndall blindsided me with a plot turn I didn’t expect.

She also manages to endear her new set of pirates into the reader’s heart. Yes, even the nasty villains. And the main character, Captain Kent Carlton, sure starts out that way in the first of this series.

There are few books that I keep on my shelves to re-read throughout the years. This is one of them, and I won’t even stoop to using cutesy pirate jargon to convince you to read it. Just do it. I have no doubt The Restitution will be one of your ’keepers’ as well.

Reviewed by: Michelle Griep

No comments: