Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Eva Marie Everson's The Road to Testament ~ Reviewed


The Road to Testament
Eva Marie Everson
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Abingdon Press (April 1, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1426757980

Description: 

Ashlynne Rothschild never wanted to be a people person. She learned a long time ago that the more she protected herself from the details of people’s personal lives, the better off her life would be. So it comes as a surprise when she finds herself liking—if not loving—the good, God-fearing people of Testament, North Carolina, where she is sent to earn her chops as a reporter. And it is with some anxiety that she unearths a story that could turn these people against her. Beneath the picturesque setting of the Blue Ridge Mountains, secrets are buried—one secret in particular. Keeping it hidden would go against Ashlynne’s journalistic integrity, but publishing the story would hurt those she’s learned to love—even her gruff, unapproachable boss, William Decker, who harbors mysteries of his own. Ashlynne has two options: run away or expose the truth of Testament . . . whatever the cost? 

Review:

The Road to Testament is about a young woman named Ashlynne Rothschild. She grew up in a life of privilege, having Grandparent's who own a successful magazine, which Ashlynne expects to inherit. However, her family decides she needs to expand her horizons a bit, and get out of her comfort zone. Therefore, before she can move up in the company, she is sent to a small town called Testament, North Carolina. It's in Testament where her Grandparent's started their first small magazine with their best friends, who now run the local paper and want to get the magazine going again. Ashlynne must prove herself there before she can return to the family magazine. She doesn't expect to have to work for the boss's handsome grandson, William Decker, who seems to dislike her from the very beginning. Ashlynne's low opinion of herself from early childhood experiences cause her to second guess herself, yet want to prove herself at the same time. In the meantime, she finds herself strangely attracted to this man that can't seem to stand her. In the meantime, amidst her journalistic digging, she uncovers some news that is going on town that could be devastating both to her career, to the town, and the new friendships she's made.

I loved this book. I don't know what it was about it. Maybe the big city girl going to the small town and finding she liked it. Maybe being envious of her getting to go to that small town America home to live, away from the city life. I was so excited to see her start to relax and enjoy the slow pace life there. The author did a great job of transporting me to Testament. I found myself wanting to vacation there. And I liked the characters and the storyline A LOT, too. I highly recommend this book. I had a hard time putting it down.

Reviewed by: Sarah Meyers

Bonus Review: 

I received this book from the publisher without agreeing to review it. I always give the uncommitted novels a once over and pass on genres or style I'm pretty sure I will struggle to like. The Road to Testament ended up in my keep-and-get-to-it-eventually pile. I'm so glad I did keep the book. 

Everson grabbed my attention immediately with strong writing and story telling. The characters develop right away, and keep some interesting details to themselves revealing in snippets only as necessary to move the story along. The romance was sweet and fun but avoided cheesy and didn't trigger my eye rolling muscles. 

Ashylynne and William both grew and learned a few things about life on their journey. Everson painted a lovely community in Testament that had me wanting to visit. Even though this story is a couple of years past first publication its well worth the time investment to read it. 

Reviewed by: Kelly Klepfer

1 comment:

Southern-fried Fiction said...

I LOVED this book!! And my book club is reading it this month. Eva Marie Everson is one of my favorite authors!