Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Catherine Palmer's The Courteous Cad ~ Reviewed


THE COURTEOUS CAD
By Catherine Palmer
Published by Tyndale House
ISBN-13: 9780842375559
384 Pages


Back Cover:

On her tour of the English countryside, a chance encounter in the streets alerts Miss Prudence Watson to the inhumane working conditions at the worsted mill. She learns that the owner is William Sherbourne, a Royal Naval officer, just returned from sea. Following in his wake is his reputation as a cad and a secret so ghastly he'll do anything to protect it. Even worse, he's handsome and charming and not at all the villain Prudence expected him to be.


REVIEW:

“Marriage is not the object of my hearts desire…I shall never wed…when God reveals my mission, I mean to do it with all my heart.”

“I shall champion those less fortunate than I.” Miss Watson is serious about God’s mission for her life; her sisters view it as silly. A woman as beautiful as Prudence should be seeking the most illegible partner, settling down and raising a family. This mission to help the poor was ridiculous thinking. Did this really come from God?

William Sherbourne agrees with Miss Prudence Watson about one thing, “I must say how delighted I am to learn your plan to remain unwed, partakers in uncorrupted innocence we shall be great friends forever. Chums, in fact.”

William and Prudence are both smart, opinionated, beautiful people who enjoy verbal sparing. Neither will admit their feelings they have for the other.

William says, “You are correct in the wickedness you surmise about me. I am not a good man. I have committed such evil in fact, that I cannot hope to be forgiven.”

Miss Watson's quick retort, “It is not my good opinion you should seek, Mr. Sherbourne…It is God’s. You will find Him more forgiving than I and certainly more merciful. But I shall endeavor to like you. We are, after all chums.”

This is fun filled book with substance. I was surprised by the risks Prudence took to fulfill her mission. Catherine Palmer urges us to “...take a closer look at ourselves, realize we are all a work in progress. We may reverse our opinions, make serious mistakes, and commit outright sin...The Holy Spirit wants to transform each of us into new creatures.” I was entertained; I laughed and made to think about life in this Regency period story. I’m thankful for the review copy I received.

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent
ACFW Book Club Coordinator



BONUS REVIEW:

Coming straight in with this being my first experience of author Catherine Palmer was refreshing and entertaining and I plan to look her up in the future for more reading adventures. I discovered that this novel is the third in a series but also connected to a Christmas novella and a second series as well bringing characters together and I love things like that. Even though I not read the other books in the series I was more than able to appreciate the characters and believe that I would like to read more about them in the other books related.

Being regency with all the etiquette and silly banter this story is fully of wit. Romantic and comical each page will present the reader with smiles. There is also a good touching on issues and causes of things such as child labor, mill revolts, long hours, as well as places for a person to improve. Using womanly whiles for the purpose of stumping men and exiting the acquaintance without a second thought. Learning to grow and find true forgiveness for a variety of past sins are woven through out and the message is not overly preachy yet important to experience.

The Courteous Cad is indeed a courteous man in the end. Both titles he earns and though the story is reflected on him, you can see learning and redeeming qualities in more character than one. I recommend this novel and must find some more.

Reviewed by: Margaret Chind

No comments: