Thursday, September 03, 2009

Karen Hancock's The Enclave ~ Reviewed


The Enclave
By Karen Hancock
Published by Bethany House
ISBN#978-0-7642-0328-2
492 Pages


Back Cover:

When Lacey McHenry accepts a prestigious research fellowship at the world-renowned Kendall-James Longevity Institute, she sees it as a new start on life. But when a disturbing late-night encounter with a bizarre intruder leads to a cover-up by Institute authorities, she soon realizes all isn’t as it seems.

Caught in an elaborate game of deception and seduction, her only ally seems to be the brilliant but absent-minded geneticist, Cameron Reinheart. A favorite of the Institute’s charismatic director, Cameron, too, came to K-J hoping to escape his past. But the more he learns about Lacey’s attacker, the more he fears that the past still pursues him.

Not certain they can trust each other, Cameron and Lacey reluctantly work together to uncover the shocking secrets that lurk behind the Institute’s respectable façade-secrets that turn out to be bigger, stranger, and far more dangerous than either of them could have imagined.


REVIEW:

What an amazing adventure I’ve just experienced reading The Enclave. I felt like I was watching a sci-fi movie as I read this book. It reminded me a little of John Grisham’s book The Firm, where this law firm kept tabs on their employees’ lives and wanted to control them in the end. It also reminded me a little bit of The Matrix, in the way things were created and operated in another world. And finally, it reminded me of Alien, and those hideous creatures and their slime.

This story was not like anything I’ve ever read. I had heard that Karen Hancock had a gift for writing science fiction and that’s what made me want to read The Enclave, in the first place. I’m happy to report that my sources were right; this book is suspenseful, imaginative, and scary (but not too scary), as she took on the topic of cloning and all its ramifications.

The author has one of her characters say this,”..Remember that just because someone holds an opinion different from your own, they must still be treated with respect.”

I think that Karen Hancock respects others opinions throughout her story. I’m not a science-fiction reader but this one drew me in and made me think about my faith. It also helped me see how to respect others I live with in this world.

Cam the geneticist says to his boss, “What do you want from me?”

“I want your mind, son. I want your heart and soul and strength…I just want your loyalty, Cameron. I want you to believe me when I say I have your very best interests at heart and trust that I know what I’m doing. And I want you to share my vision.”

I couldn’t believe that in the middle of life threatening situations, her action figures were contemplating what God would have them do next. It was great!! You just have to read this story to get the full affect. It’s hard to describe in just a few words. This book will definitely take you to most intriguing places you’ve never been before or even thought existed. All I can say about this book is what a great trip to “infinity and beyond.”

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent Finding Hope Through Fiction

No comments: